SriLankan Airlines crew put out mobile battery pack fire
Jul 31, 2017 13:41 PM GMT+0530 | 0 Comment(s)
ECONOMYNEXT - SriLankan Airlines crew had put out a potential fire from a smoking mobile battery pack, on a flight from India to Sri Lanka, the airline said.
After smoke came from an overhead baggage compartment crew had used a fire extinguisher and removed the smoking bag to the back of the cabin.
Suspecting lithium battery pack fire, they had immersed the smoking item in water as recommended.
A lithium battery pack and two mobile phones had been found in the bag. The airline did not mention the make of the battery pack.
"The flight crew immediately informed air traffic controllers at BIA and the aircraft was met on arrival by dangerous goods experts, firefighters and other safety related personnel," the airline said.
"Since the situation was under control, passengers did not require emergency evacuation and disembarked in the usual manner."
SriLankan said Samsung Note 7 phones, which were found to spontaneously ignite are banned on the airline.