Boossa inmates call off hunger strikes
ECONOMYNEXT – Inmates at the Bossa prison have called off a four-day-long hunger strike launched last week over a number of demands.
The hunger strike commenced on September 10 by 40 inmates including notorious underworld figures and drug traffickers such as Kanjipani Imran and Wele Suda. The inmates were protesting, among other things, the discontinuation of a telephone facility that was provided during the COVID-19 outbreak, attorneys who visit the inmates being frisked by prison guards and search operations carried out by the police Special Task Force (STF) at the premises.
The Department of Prisons said in a statement that as of yesterday 25 inmates had withdrawn from the hunger strike, but the rest had continued until today.
Last Saturday (12) Defence Ministry Secretary Major Gen (Rtd) Kamal Gunaratne said the demands by some of the most wanted criminals incarcerated in Boosa were unreasonable, adding that the prison authorities would only look into some of the more reasonable appeals.
”I have instructed the Prison Officer to search me as well when I visit the Boossa High-Security Prison, he said.
Gunaratne also said the government would not tolerate any forms of crime and would punish any wrongdoer, from drug users to notorious drug kingpins, while prioritising the rehabilitation of drug addicts to reintegrate them back into society. (Colombo/Sept14/2020)