An Echelon Media Company
Tuesday January 21st, 2025

Despite strict measures, Sri Lanka’s illegal migration continues as crisis takes toll

ECONOMYNEXT – Despite repeated measures to prevent Sri Lankans of using illegal ways to leave the country including using boats, the island nation’s authorities are struggling to prevent the unlawful movements as the unprecedented economic crisis is haunting millions.

In the latest move, Réunion Island of France has repatriated 46 Sri Lankans who tried to illegally enter the country, an Information Department statement said, fleeing from the ongoing economic crisis in Sri Lanka.

The group, including 43 men, 02 females and one child, had set sailing on December 02, 2022 from Negombo beach and in 22 days had reached Réunion Island where they were arrested by the local authorities.

“They have been identified as residents of Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu, Mannar, Batticaloa, Chilaw and Negombo, from 13 to 53 years of age,” the statement said.

The group was returned by air on January 13, 2023, it said.

“The group will be handed over to the Criminal Investigation Department for onward legal action”.

The initial investigations have revealed that the smugglers were from Colombo suburb Dehiwala area and charged between 200,000 – 4.5 million rupees per person, the statementSri Lanka has seen a rapid growth in illegal migrants, mainly aiming to go to Australia, India, Italy and Canada.

In 2022 only the Sri Lanka Navy detained 1507 persons while attempting to flee the country almost 11 times than the previous year.

Out of the total 1,189 were said to have attempted to reach Australia and most of the arrests had been made in Sri Lanka’s Northwestren coast of Mannar beach, followed by Eastern port district of Trincomalee and Capital Colombo.

Sri Lanka does not require exit visas, but authorities try to stop migrants who do not use official exit points. (Colombo/ Jan 16/2023)

Sri Lanka to grow 40,000 acres of coconut in the North

ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka expects to grow 40,000 acres of coconut in the North as part of efforts for long term expansion of the crop and also give free fertilizer to small holders Minister of Plantation and Community Infrastructure Samantha Viddyarathna said.

Sri Lanka’s coconut prices have soared amid import controls and a crop shortfall.

“We have taken steps to grow 40,000 acres of coconut in the Northern coconut triangle,” Minister Viddyarathna told parliament.

“We have asked 1,437 million rupees from the budget for that. This will have results in the long term.”

Some of Sri Lanka’s traditional coconut are located in areas which are fast developing and where the land has higher yielding uses.

Sri Lanka’s then President Gotabaya Rajapaksa banned fertilizer following advice from the Government Medical Officers Association which was followed by a massive currency crises after macro-economists printed money on top of tax cuts to boost growth.

Fertilizer prices soared in the crisis while supplies were also short.

Sri Lanka also 39,883 acres of coconut state plantations but they also have not got fertilizer for the past five years, Minister Viddyarathna said.

“Where there is no fertilizer the crops decline,” he said. “There were also weather impacts.”

Heavy rains tend to drench flowers and reduce pollination, according to some in the coconut sector.

Rains have continued this year.

Sri Lanka has obtained 55,000 metric tonnes of fertilizer from Russia of which 27,500 was reserved for coconut small holders.

“We have decided to give free fertilizer to coconut land owners with less than 5 acres.”

Sri Lanka has a number of export industries including powdered milk, shell charcoal and coir which are also facing higher costs and raw material difficulties due to crop shortfall and import restrictions on raw coconuts. (Colombo/Jan21.2025)

Continue Reading

Sri Lanka to train female seafarers

The inaugural batch of female cadets with the Centrum Marine Consultancy team at the launch of the She Can Sail the Seas

ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka Centrum Marine Consultancy (Pvt) Ltd, a maritime human resources firm, said it had launched an initiative to sponsor and encourage females to become seafarers.

Under the ‘She Can Sail the Seas’ initiative, 15 female cadets are being trained at a cost of 110,000 US dollars.

“Our mission is to create a lasting impact, paving the way for future generations of female seafarers and demonstrating that the seas are open to all who dare to sail them,” Kalinga De Silva, Managing Director of Centrum Marine Consultancy, said.

These include seven deck cadets and eight engineering cadets.

Centrum Marine Consultancy says they hope to train 150 over the longer term.

She Can Sail the Seas’ initiative is co-sponsored by Peter Döhle Schiffahrts-KG, Hamburg, with CINEC Maritime Campus serving as the technical partner.

(L-R) German Ambassador Felix Neumann, Kalinga De Silva, High Commission of Australia Defense Advisor Colonel Amanda Jonston, US Embassy Naval Attaché Lieutenant Commander Jessica De Month, and CINEC Maritime Campus Vice President Capt Peshala Medagama.

It is supported by the German Embassy in Colombo, the High Commission of Australia, and the US Embassy in Colombo.

The program is also supported by the Ceylon Association of Shipping Agents, and WISTA Sri Lanka. (Colombo/Jan21/2025)

Continue Reading

Sri Lanka to solve tax, water and land problems on China refinery

ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has agreed to resolve issues on water, land and tax on a planned 3.7 billion US dollar oil refinery by China’s Sinopec in Hambantota, Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath said.

The new administration discussed with China and agreed to fast track the refinery which has been in the works for several years, he said.

“We said we are ready,” Minister Herath said in a late night talk show on Sri Lanka’s Derana Television Monday.

“There is a water problem. There is a requirement for more land. There is a problem with tax.

“We said we will discuss these and we signed the agreement. Within a month both sides will discuss and give solutions to the three problems and take it forward. We fast-tracked it.”

China had originally put forward the idea for a refinery in 2004, he said.

The National People’s Power still had reservations about fuel distribution being given to foreign companies including Sinopec but there were legal agreements now in place which had to be respected, Minister Herath said. (Colombo/Jan21/2025)

Continue Reading