Five COVID-19 deaths in Sri Lanka today as 198 people test positive
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka recorded five new COVID-19 related deaths today (13), bringing the country’s pandemic death toll to 53, the National Operation Centre for Prevention of COVID-19 (NOCPOC) said.
The deceased patients are as follows:
- An 83-year-old female from Colombo 14 who died at her home today. Officials said the cause of death was COVID-19 infection with high blood pressure and diabetes.
- A 68-year-old male from Chilaw who died while undergoing treatment at the Mulleriyawa hospital. The patient had been transferred from Chilaw District Hospital to Mulleriyawa Hospital upon testing positive for the virus. Officials cited a stroke due to COVID-19 as the cause of death.
- A 69-year-old male from Ratmalana who died while being admitted to the Ratmalana Hospital due to a chest pain. Officials said the patient had been suffering from diabetes and high blood pressure, adding that a heart attack triggered by COVID-19 had caused his death.
- A 78-year-old male from Colombo 13 who died at home. Officials said this too was caused by a heart attack due to COVID-19.
- A 64-year-old male from Colombo 13 who died at home. Officials said he had a severe case of asthma and cited “COVID-19 infection” as the cause of death.
Sri Lankan health officials identified 198 new COVID-19 patients today (12), NOCPOC said.
The new cases include four employees from Taj Samudra Hotel, Colombo. All others, according to NOCPOC, are close contacts of the Minuwangoda and Peliyagoda clusters.
With the new cases, Sri Lanka’s total COVID-19 cases has increased to 15,921. (Colombo/Nov13/2020)