No more power cuts from 11 April – Ravi K

Power and Energy Minister Ravi Karunanayake said there will be no more scheduled power cuts from 11 April onwards. Media reports had previously quoted him as saying power cuts would end on 10 April, but when contacted by RepublicNext, the Minister said the correct date is 11 Thursday, as it would take effect from midnight Wednesday.

Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) General Manager S. D. W. Gunawardena, however, declined to comment on the CEB’s ability to stop the ongoing load shedding, necessitated as it is by the cover crisis as well as the prevalent drought conditions.

“How can I substantiate the Minister’s statement?” he said.

CEB Spokesman Sulakashana Jayawardena, however, did confirm that the CEB’s plan was to end the outages before the Sinhala and Tamil New Year.

“Our target is to end it by Avurudu. We’re happy to do it even today if we can. Our priority is to not inconvenience consumers,” he said.

When asked about the CEB’s capacity to stop the outages, he too, echoing his General Manager questioned the propriety of asking an official to confirm the veracity of a statement issued by a Cabinet Minister.

Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) Corporate Communications Director Jayanath Herath, meanwhile, said the Commission had not been informed of any plans to stop the scheduled cuts.

“We have not received any communication on this, and we have not been provided the relevant data on how much capacity needs to be added,” said Herath,

Tags :

Latest Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *