Probe into Sooriyawewa fracas
A clash that had taken place between security personnel and spectators trying to get into the Sooriyawewa cricket stadium Wednesday for the Windies-Lanka one-dayer is now part of a high-level investigation.
The police spokesman’s office said the fracas had begun at the outset as spectators found that only two out of four ticket counters were open and there was a rush to get in.
Police headquarters said that the Police and the Special Task Force had been called in and the situation had been settled.
However, pictures of men in Security Forces uniforms apparently assaulting spectators being circulated on Social Media platforms has raised the temperature, and put pressure on politicians particularly those from the locality.
MP Namal Rajapaksa tweeted “Unfortunate incident at Sooriyawewa cricket stadium ticket counters. Assaulting spectators and the public is absolutely unacceptable. The Government must conduct an immediate inquiry and take action.”
In the afternoon Sports Minister Dullas Alahapperuma ordered Sri Lanka Cricket to immediately conduct an inquiry into the incident and report to him.
He said in a media release that both President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa had asked him to call for a probe.
This was the first international game played at the Sooriyawewa stadium in the Rajapaksa family home town in four years.
Although Sri Lanka thumped Carribean islanders to the delight of the home fans the clash left a bad taste in the mouths of the spectators.