SB’s bodyguards to face identification parade on Monday
Two of politician S B Dissanayake’s bodyguards are to face an identification parade at the Hatton Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
The two Ministerial Security Division officers are alleged to have opened fire at some people who are said to have obstructed the former Minister’s vehicle in Ginigathhena earlier this week.
Hatton Magistrate Jeyaram Strosky remanded the two policemen until 11 Nov after they were produced before the court yesterday (7 Nov).
The incident took place on Wednesday night when the side mirror of the vehicle in which SB’s bodyguards were travelling hit the mirror of another vehicle travelling in the same direction in which a group were returning home after attending a wedding.
One of the alleged victims 22-year-old Ravindra Roshan from Ginigathhena said that after the accident the bodyguards had an argument with them.
“Then S.B. Dissanayake talked to us and settled the matter, while he was leaving the bodyguards shot me and my friend with a pistol,” he added.
He was shot in his right hand while his friend was shot in his left leg, he alleged. Roshan and his friend were admitted to the Theligama regional hospital and later his friends had been transferred to the Karawanellla base hospital.
It was reported the bodyguards who opened fire had also made a complaint to Thalathuoya police following the incident that a group of individuals had tried to block the escort had tried to attack them.
MP S.B. Dissanayake at a media briefing held yesterday said that his security officials opened fire at a group of drunken men who had attempted to grab a weapon of a security officer.
He also said that it would have been better if such a shooting had not been carried out
Dissanayake said that he was not present at the time when the incident happened and that he took the necessary steps to hand over the two police officers to the Thalathuoya police.
Dissanayake, who is campaigning for SLPP Presidential candidate Gotabaya Rajapaksa, said that the former Secretary to the Ministry of Defense is “very concerned about law and order and everyone is bound to protect his honour and the dignity of the election campaign and said that he is deeply sorry for the incident that took place because of his security officials.”