ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka’s Shangri-La Colombo, which was one of three hotels hit by suicide bombers on Easter Sunday will re-open on June 12, the hotel said.
"The Shangri-La Group is grateful to the local authorities and the global community for their outpouring of support and messages of commendations received these past seven weeks, the hotel said in a statement.
"We remain deeply appreciative of the selfless service and courageous spirit demonstrated by our colleagues and the Sri Lankan community in the face of such adversity.
"Our heartfelt sympathies and support continue to be with those who have suffered injuries and lost loved ones on 21 April 2019. They will always be remembered."
Other hotels involved in the incidents including Kingsbury had already re-opened. Sri Lanka was hit by travel advisories in the wake of the bombings, but they have since been relaxed.
Sri Lankan authorities have dismantled an extremist Islamist group which is believed to have had links to Islamic State a Pan-Nationalist group based in Syria.
Authorities have rounded up most of the members of the group who directly contributed the bombings. Sri Lanka’s intelligence services have been aware of the group, but failed to prevent the attacks, despite warnings from a friendly nation. (Colombo/June10/2019)