SLAF – Gunesinghepura men did not die of COVID 19
ECONOMYNEXT- The two men who died at the Mullaitivu quarantine centre last week did not succumb to COVID-19, a military spokesman said.
Speaking to EconomyNext today, May 4, Air Force Spokesman Group Captain Dushan Wijesinghe said that it was found that one of them had died due to ischemic heart disease and the other due to epilepsy and aspiration Pneumonia.
The two individuals aged of 81 and 83 were hospitalised after falling ill at the Mullaitivu quarantine centre which is managed by Sri Lanka Air Force
The deceased were among a group of homeless men who were moved to quarantine after they were found around the central bus stand in Pettah some weeks ago.
The entire area went into lockdown after a COVID 19 cluster was discovered in the Bandaranayake Mawatha area in Kotehena.
The destitute people in the area were given fresh clothing, food and shelter by the Police in the area.
Thereafter they were taken to the quarantine centre as they may have been exposed to COVID 19 positive cases in the area.
A total of 72 people in the Kotehena, Keselwatte and Gunasinghepura areas were infected from members of a family that had returned from a pilgrimage to India in March. (Colombo/May4/2020)
Reported by Imesh Ranasinghe