Sri Lanka Coronavirus count goes up to 29 – Updated
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has confirmed 10 new Coronavirus patients on Monday taking the total confirmed so far to 29, including a Chinese national who had been released.
The state information office said six new cases were confirmed late Monday.
One person was in Polonnaruwa hospital and four others were from quarantine centres.
One person had returned from Kerala, India.
A 73 year old admitted to Karapitiya hospital in Galle was also confirmed earlier on Monday
On Monday a 13-year old girl, a 50-year old man and another 37 year old man was also confirmed as having Coronavirus, Director General of Health Services Anil Jasinghe said.
They were already in hospital as suspected patients.
Sri Lanka declared Monday a holiday to help stop the virus and also closed museums. Zoos and cinemas were closed earlier.
Secretary to the Ministry of Public Administration S Hettiarachchi said the holiday will not be extended. Banking and export import trade had to take place he said.
However a task force looking into the matter will evaluate ground conditions and may make a decision on Friday, he said.
Sri Lanka has already restricted flights from a number of countries tightened as total confirmed cases of Coronavirus went up on Sunday.
Among those confirmed over the weekend was the teenage daughter of a previously confirmed patient who became infected due to contact with foreigners.
The case led to the World Health Organization designating Sr Lanka as a country with community transmission, Jasinghe said Sunday.
Sri Lanka Sunday restricted travel from UK, Belgium and Norway asking carriers not to board anyone destined for the island who from or had been in the three countries.
Sri Lanka had already restricted boarding airlines from France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden and Austria. (Colombo/Mar16/2020)