Sri Lanka Coronavirus toll goes to 11, public holiday declared – Updated

ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has reported new cases of Coronavirus (COVID19) on Saturday taking the total in hospital to 10, while a Chinese national had been discharged earlier, and authorities have banned public gatherings.

Sri Lanka’s zoological gardens would close and Monday March 16 had been declared a holiday as part of measures to contain the spread of the virus.

A 56 year old lady who had returned from Italy on March 07, became the 10th Sri Lankan confirmed.

A 17-year old girl who was the relative of a previously confirmed case was the was the 09th Sri Lankan, the information office said later Saturday.

The state information office said late Saturday that another 42 year old quarantined returnee had been confirmed.

Earlier in the day a 44 year old male from Italy who was in quarantine and was in Polonnaruwa hospital was confirmed with the disease the head of Sri Lanka’s health service Anil Jasinghe told reporters.

A 43 year old returnee from Italy who was from Naththandiya, but not in quarantine, was also confirmed and was being treated at Kurunegala hospital.

Sri Lanka’s health minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi said public gatherings will need police permission since in other countries large meetings were a source of infection spread.

Of the confirmed patients, most had returned from Italy, while two were locally infected from an Italian tour group and one person had returned from Germany.

As of Saturday 103 suspected patients were being treated at 18 designated hospitals around the country.

Advertisement

 

 

 

Over 1,600 were in quarantine centres by Saturday afternoon, Jasinghe said.

Up to now Italy had been linked to all except one of the Sri Lankans infected with Coronavirus.

Related

Sri Lanka diplomats in self-quarantine after family member gets Coronavirus

Sri Lanka cuts down consular services in Coronavirus hotspots in Europe, Iran, Korea

Sri Lanka Coronavirus toll goes to 09, public gatherings banned – Updated

Aggressive measures to prevent community transmission of COVID19 introduced

Sri Lanka asked airlines not to board any traveller from nine European countries, Iran and Korea.
(Colombo/Mar14/2020 – Update III with 08 th Sri Lankan citizen confirmed)

Latest Comments

3 Comments

  1. Recklessness of the Sri Lankans resident in Italy is causing havoc in Sri Lanka.
    All Sri Lanka cases are imported.
    better cancell all flights to Sri Lanka.

  2. According to a video ciculated by a person who had been gathering arrival data at the Colombo airport a few days ago, strict processing is carried out of those arriving from Italy, Iran and South Korea as confirmed by the immigration and security personnel. However he points out that no such procedure is followed for passengers arriving from China and they are allowed to go out of the terminal freely. Can this be verified from the health authorities please?

Latest comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *