Sri Lanka Coronavirus toll rises to 51, mostly foreign returnees
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has confirmed 09 new Coronavirus cases on March 18, officials said, taking the total along with a Chinese woman to 51 as the country ratcheted up efforts to contain the crisis.
Most of the new cases were also people who had come from abroad, Health Minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi said.
Sri Lanka had yesterday misreported the total domestic cases as 43 (44 total) due to double counting of results, Director General of Health Services Anil Jasinghe said.
Sri Lanka now had 212 patients in hospitals, and new hospitals are being prepared to accommodate persons, he said.
Sri Lanka also had 2,287 persons in quarantine, Sri Lanka’s military chief Shavendra Silva said.
About 19 patients had come from abroad. He said there were 26 separate building used as quarantine centres and the patients had come from 03 places.
He said some had been found with fever as they came or within a three days and they were unlikely to have contracted the disease while in quarantine.
Sri Lanka is halting all arrivals from March 19 till March 25.
Sri Lanka also slapped curfew is several places north of Colombo where a large number of returnees from Italy who had arrived before quarantine began. (Colombo/Mar18/2020)