Sri Lanka country-wide Coronavirus curfew from May 06-11, work in all red zones from May 11 – Update
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka will re-impose a countrywide curfew from 2000 hours on May 06 (Wednesday) until May 11, while curfews will continue indefinitely in the red zones of Colombo, Kaluthara, Gampaha and Puttalam, the President’s office said.
But work will begin in the red zones on May 11 at 1000 hours in the curfew with only the minimum required persons reporting to offices and places of business.
“While curfew is still in force civilian life in the districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara and Puttalam will resume from Monday, the May 11th,” the President’s office said.
“Although this plan was scheduled to be implemented from today, Monday, the May 4th, due to 04 holidays falling this week it was extended till Monday, May 11th.”
Sri Lanka is celebrating Vesak, a Buddhist holiday this week. The holiday is usually marked by colorfully illuminated lanterns and pandals which draw large crowds in the evenings.
State and private businesses including in the red zones should open for business on May 11 and 1000 hours the President’s office said.
In the red zones, where curfews are in force people going out for shopping and other requirements should do so based on the last digit of their identity card.
The requirement does not apply to persons reporting for work.
The full statement in the form of an FAQ is reproduced below:
01.What are the districts where the curfew is on and at what times
• Curfew will be effective in the districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, and Puttalam until further notice.
• In the rest of the districts curfew will be on from 8.00 pm to 5.00 am from today (04) till Wednesday (06). The curfew which will be re-imposed in these districts at 8.00 pm on Wednesday, May 6th will be in force till 5.00 am on Monday, May 11th.
02. When will the resumption of civilian life and work begin while curfew is still in force?
• While curfew is still in force, civilian life in the districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, and Puttalam will resume from Monday, the May 11th .
• Although, this plan was scheduled to be implemented from today, Monday, May 4th, due to 04 holidays falling this week it was extended till Monday, May 11th.
03. How do the primary functions relating to the resumption of civilian life progress?
• Both public and private sector entities in the districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara and Puttalam should re-commence their work from Monday, May 11th.
• Heads of all organizations already had been instructed to work out a plan based on their requirements.
• Head of each entity should ensure strict adherence to the prescribed health guidelines issued to control the spread of COVID – 19 virus while carrying out their operations.
• The private sector entities are requested to open for work at 10.00 am daily.
• The responsibility to decide who should come to office and their number lies with the head of each organization.
• Buses belonging to Sri Lanka Transport Board and railway carriages can only transport employees of both public and private sectors who are reporting for work.
04. For what purposes civilian can leave their homes during curfew hours?
• Civilians except those who are essentially required to report to work are requested to remain in their homes as a measure to control the disease.
• People are allowed to leave their homes only to purchase essential items such as food and medicines.
05. What are the areas where people are permitted to leave their homes based on the last digit of the NIC and from when?
• Only in areas where the curfew is in force
• From Monday, May 11th
• This system does not apply to areas where the curfew is relaxed
The Government expects the public will refrain from gathering unnecessarily by following the above guidelines even when the curfew is lifted.
The revival of the economy and the resumption of civilian life will take place while curfew regulations are effective and controlling unnecessary congregation of people as a measure to prevent the spread of the disease is a prime objective of this mechanism.
Conditions included in previous announcements regarding the above matter remain unchanged.
President’s Media Division.