Sri Lanka discharges fully recovered Chinese Coronavirus patient
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has discharged a tourist from China who was treated for the novel Coronavirus on February 19, after making a full recovery, a health official said.
The woman patient was admitted to the hospital on January 25, and has been the sole confirmed case on the island, so far.
On discharge she was received by Health Minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi and Director General Health Services Anil Jasinghe.
The 43-year-old female Chinese patient who was receiving treatment at the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Sri Lanka for novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has fully recovered, the head of the Epidemiology Unit Sudath Samaraweera said.
“As of yesterday (18), two patients were receiving treatment for suspicions of having been infected with the virus,” Samaraweera said.
Sri Lanka has admitted a number of patients with flue symptoms for treatment, but other than the tourist from China, no others had been confirmed as having the disease.
Sri Lanka is screening arrivals at airports and ports and had also tightened visas for Chinese tourists from
You may also read
WHO urges calm as China virus death toll reaches 2,000
Visitors from China have to fill a form giving their itinerary and they are visited each day by a regional health official for a health check.
China said over 2,000 persons have died from the virus in the country. Russia has closed its border for Chinese visitors.
The World Health Organization has said the death rate is about 2.3 percent from reported cases and it was below 1 percent for people in their 30s and 40s. (Colombo/Feb19/2020)