ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka police will be increasing patrol duties and road barriers June 23 till June 25 in areas where authorities have imposed travel restrictions, police said.
Police spokesman Senior Deputy Inspector General (SDIG) Ajith Rohana told reporters that security will increased island-wide from 8pm June 23 till 4am June 25.
The travel restrictions imposed on May 21 were relaxed on June 21 after 29 days.
However, Army Commander and the head of Sri Lanka’s COVID-19 task force Gen Shavendra Silva announced the travel restrictions will be re imposed at 10pm June 23 until it’s lifted again at 4am June 25.
The 30 hour temporary lockdown will cover the Poson Full Moon Poya day, a Buddhist holiday that marks the arrival of Buddhism in Sri Lanka, that falls on June 24 this year.
“During the day, undercover police officers will be on duty in places where there can be possible gatherings,” Rohana said.
Police arrested over 400 people yesterday for not following quarantine regulations. Since October last year, police have arrested 42,347 in total.
Meanwhile, authorities have isolated eleven more Grama Niladhari Divisions in Trincomalee and Batticaloa districts from 6am am on June 23.
Nagaraja Walawwa place
Valaichchenai Police Division
• 1st Cross Road, Brainthuraichenai206 C
• 2nd Cross Road, Bryanturaichenai 206 C
Kattankudy Police Division
• Kattankudy Division 4 164
• Kattankudy Division 5 South 164 A
• Kattankudy Section 5 South 164 B
• New Kattankudy Division east 161 B
• New Kattankudy Division 6 west 162 B
• New Kattankudy Division North 167 A
• New Kattankudy Division south 167 C
• Area of Karabala Road, ALS Mawatha, Nooraniya Cemetery Road and Beach Road 167 B