ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka will operate several office trains across districts and provinces to take essential workers, the state railway service said though long distance travel was restricted as part of anti-Coronavirus movement controls slapped from May 13.
Railway department said in order to provide transportation facilities from province to province, for the essential workers in both government and private sector, a limited number of trains will be operating between main stations avoiding all sub stations.
Morning trains –
1. Office train from Kandy to Colombo fort – 01 (Depart 0500 am)
2. Office train from Mahawa to Colombo fort – 01 (Depart 0445 am)
3. Office train from Halawatha to Colombo fort – 01 (Depart 0550 am)
4. Special train between Bolawaththa and Puttalam – 01 (Depart 0700 am)
5. Office train from Beliatta to Maradana – 01 (Depart 0430 am)
1. Office train from Colombo fort to Kandy – 01 (Depart 1745 pm)
2. Office train from Colombo fort to Mahawa – 01 (Depart 1800 pm)
3. Office train from Colombo fort to Halawatha – 01 (Depart 1718 pm)
4. Special train between Puttalam to Bolawatta – 01 (Depart 1600 pm)
5. Office train from Maradana to Beliatta – 01 (Depart 1640 pm)
Department said all passengers should provide their NIC, Office ID and a signed permission letter from the company.
Limited long distance state and private bus services will also be operated to take essential workers between districts, Transport Minister Dilum Amunugama told reporters.
He told managers to avoid giving letters to too many workers and only bring the absolutely essential workers.
“We all have be socially responsible at this moment” Amunugama said. “If you provide permission letters for all the employees in the company because it gives the permission to travel then you are ignoring your responsibility and will support the spreading of the virus” (Colombo/ May 13/2021)