ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka plans to enter into memoranda of understanding (MoUs) with foreign universities with a view to building educational partnerships and improving the international ranking of local universities, the cabinet office said June 08.
The cabinet of ministers has approved a proposal by Education Minister Prof G L Peiris to sign the MoUs.
According to a statement from the cabinet office, MoUs between the following local and international universities/institutes have been proposed:
- The University of Sri Jayawardhanapura and the Manipal Life Science Academy of the Manipal Higher Education Academy of India
- The University of Peradeniya and the Agricultural Centre of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) on consolidated technology associational activities
- The University of Colombo and the University Malaya in Malaysia
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) of Sri Lanka with the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency of Australia for exchanging
information, cooperation and institutional networking when standardising certification
- The Agricultural Extension Studies Department of the Agriculture faculty of the University of Peradeniya and the Extension faculty of the University of Alberta, Canada