ECONOMYNEXT – New infections confirmed on March 21, were all from quarantine centres and one was a military medic Sri Lanka’s army chief Shavendra Silva told a privately run television station as the country remains under curfew to stop the spread of the virus.
General Silva told Sri Lanka’s Derana TV that six persons were confirmed on March 21, and five were from returnees from abroad.
Sri Lank confirmed 78 infections overnight by March 22 morning according to data from the health ministry. Another 548 were under watch.
The country remains under curfew till Monday, with Colombo, Puttalam and Gampaha to be under curfew till Tuesday morning. Other areas will get a break 0600 to shop and get food.
There were now 45 quarantine centers run by the military of which 41 was run by the army, 02 by the Sri Lanka Air Force and 01 by the Navy.
“One of the six persons found yesterday was a health assistant,” General Silva said. “It was the first time a member of the military team was infected. A soldier was earlier infected after an incident at the airport.”
There were 3,361 including in quarantine centres with returning Buddhist pilgrims also added to the total.
From India 798 Buddhist pilgrims had returned, he said. They were being allowed in after arrivals were halted on March 19, on a request by Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa he said.
A total of 30 infections so far were from quarantine centres, General Silva said.
Farmers are however allowed to go to fields and harvest.
Overnight there were casualties following a prison riot in Anuradhapura in North Central Sri Lanka after a suspected Coronavirus patient was taken out of the prison.
Concern also rose over a congregation being exposed at a church in the Northern Jaffna peninsular after a pastor who returned from Switzerland got ill. (Colombo/Mar20/2020)