Sri Lanka’s Coronavirus count reaches 101, indefinite curfew for high risk districts
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka confirmed 100 Coronavirus carriers on Tuesday and an indefinite curfew was slapped after large crowds thronged some areas in a bid to rush for groceries and other essentials.
Sri Lanka’s state information office said 101 patients had been confirmed by the afternoon of March 24 including one first wave patient from China adding 03 to the overnight total.
The indefinite curfew came a day after the first second wave Coronavirus patient made a full recovery.
“It is great relief for us and also a reason to be happy,” Health Minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi said a day earlier.
Sri Lanka’s daily increase was in the single digits or low single digits, but Tuesday’s crowds in some areas had raised concerns among authorities.
“Districts of Colombo, Gampaha and Kaluthara have been identified as high risk zones in view of the spread of COVID-19,” the President’s office said in a statement.
“Health officials fear that this in turn could lead to a wider and faster spread of the virus.”
Large crowds in shops had been observed after curfew was lifted this morning in some areas, through disciplined buying was also seen.
Puttalam, previously regarded as hotspot of Italian returnees was dropped from the indefinite curfew list.
Kalutara was a district where four patients were confirmed two days earlier.
Authorities say there are enough stocks of food in the country and is trying to organize home delivery of foods and medicines. (Colombo/Ma24/2020)