Sri Lanka’s Coronavirus count up with 7 new confirmations
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has confirmed seven new COVID 19 Coronavirus infections on March 19 with Director General of Health Services Anil Jasinghe said as the country went on a six day work-at-home period and elections scheduled for April were postponed indefinitely.
Three persons from the Ratnapura district, a father, mother and son, were confirmed, he said.
Another four were also confirmed earlier in the day.
These include 02 foreigners, 25 Sri Lankans who had come from abroad including 22 from Italy.
Thursday morning there were 53 patients had been confirmed in Sri Lanka including the first Chinese patient, according to health ministry data.
Patients in designated hospitals under observation had gone up to 243 from 212 a day earlier, data from the Health Ministry said on March 19 said Thursday morning.
Many under observation are usually released without developing Coronavirus. Sri Lanka’s Health Ministry encourages all persons with symptoms similar to Coronavirus to be admitted to designated state hospitals without delay.
Police Deputy Inspector General Ajith Rohana said 8,438 persons had responded to a request to register with police.
Of that 4,498 were from the Western province and 1,187 were in Wayamba province.
Sri Lanka has declared work-at-home holidays for a week to contain the spread of the virus.
Sri Lanka’s Health Minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi said that most were people who had come from abroad.
On Wednesday Sri Lanka slapped curfew in an areas with a large number of returnees from Italy and also banned massage parlours, casinos and night clubs. (Colombo/Mar19/2020)