Up to 30 possible foreign deaths from Sri Lanka blasts
ECONOMYNEXT- Around 30 foreigners may have died in the blasts across Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, a top official said.
Foreign Secretary Ravinatha Aryasinha said five foreigners have been confirmed dead so far, while five are missing.
He said another 23 to 30 bodies of could be of foreigners, but they have not been positively indenfied.
Eight blasts across the country have killed 207, while over 450 are injured, according to Police Spokesman Ruwan Gunasekara.
Three blasts went off in churches in Negombo, Colombo and Batticaloa during Easter Sunday mass.
Another three bombs went off in major hotels in the capital Colombo.
Two blasts were set off in Dehiwala and Dematagoda; two suburbs in the capital.
Defence State Minister Ruwan Wijewardene said the attacks, some of which were suicide bombings, were carried out by an extremist group.
The government is withholding the name of the extremist group in order to prevent potential communal violence. (Colombo/Apr21/2019-SB)