What Sri Lanka’s Court of Appeal order means
ECONOMYNEXT – The Court of Appeal order restraining Mahinda Rajapaksa and his purported ministers of holding public office has effectively compounded problems for the political authority of President Maithripala Sirisena.
This is what the writ issued against Rajapaksa and his disputed cabinet means on a day-to-day basis.
1) Mahinda Rajapaksa will not be able to exercise any authority as Prime Minister
2) The Prime Minister’s office at Flower Road will be out of bounds for Rajapaksa.
3) He cannot function as finance minister.
4) President Sirisena cannot hold any cabinet meetings with “ministers’ appointed after October 26.
5) The disputed ministers will have no authority, cannot go to their offices.
6) Disputed State ministers have no authority, and cannot go to their offices.