AG tells Acting IGP to arrest eight Avant Garde suspects
Attorney General (AG) Dappula de Livera has issued instructions to Acting Inspector General of Police (IGP) C. D. Wickramaratne to arrest eight individuals implicated in the controversial Avant Garde case.
In a letter written to Wickramaratne with the Senior DIG and the Director of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) on copy, Livera has instructed the Acting IGP to charge the following suspects under the Criminal Procedure Code:
- Avant Garde Chairman Nishshanka Senadhipathi
- National Police Commission Secretary and Former Additional Defence Ministry Secretary Saman Dissanayake
- Rtd Major General Palitha Fernando
- Rtd Major General Karunaratne Egodawele
- Red Navy Commodore Vishvajith Nandana Diyabalanage
- Rtd Air Vice Marshall P. D. Premachandra
- Former Senior Additional Defence Secretary Damayanthi Jayaratne
- Rakna Lanka Chairman Victor Samaraweera
Noting that the Supreme Court had previously dismissed the fundamental rights applications filed by the first five suspects challenging their arrests, the AG told the Police Chief that there were no legal barriers preventing their arrest.