Expect thundershowers with severe lightning this evening: Sri Lanka Met Department
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka’s Department of Meteorology issued a ‘red warning’ today of impending thunderstorms accompanied by “severe lighting” in several provinces this evening.
In a statement issued a short while ago, the Met Department warned that thundershowers and lightning will occur in parts of the North-western, Sabaragamuwa, Central, Southern, Western and Uva provinces and the Mannar district.
There may be temporary localised strong winds during the thundershowers, the department said, advising the general public to take adequate precautions to minimise damages caused by lightning activity.
The Met Department recommended the following actions:
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees
- Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms
- Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms
- Avoid using open vehicles such as bicycles, tractors, boats, etc
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines
- For emergency assistance, contact the local disaster management authorities