ECONOMYNEXT – A regulator-led initiative to provide solutions for electrical and plumbing issues in Sri Lanka’s Western province households during the ongoing COVID-19 curfew has now been extended to the rest of the island.
The Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCS) together with the Sri Lanka Police, the National Water Supply and Drainage Board (NWSDB), the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), the Lanka Electricity Company Private Limited (LECO) introduced the service in the Western province (comprising the Colombo, Gampaha and Kalutara districts) in early April.
The PUCSL said in a statement that facilities have been provided to rectify problems of internal electrical and water services in households through a hotline service. The numbers are as follows.
- For the services of a plumber – 1939 (National Water Supply & Drainage Board)
- For the services of an electrician for CEB consumers – 1987 (Ceylon Electricity Board)
- For the services of an electrician for LECO consumers – 1910 (Lanka Electricity Company Private Limited)
The Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka can also be contacted on 0764271030 for electricity and water services issues.
“With the new service, consumers can seek the assistance of an electrician or a plumber near to consumers’ residential area to sort the issue,” the PUCSL said, adding that registered electricians and plumbers will provide the service in accordance with approved safety practices and quarantine guidelines.
The statement also noted that a database of electricians and plumbers residing in every district of Sri Lanka is being
maintained and measures have been taken to provide the information to respective police stations and divisional secretariats to maximise the service provided.
The relevant electrician/electrical equipment and air conditioning maintenance technician or a plumber must obtain a temporary curfew pass from the respective police station once a job has been assigned to them, the PUCSL said.
The PUCSL has also issued a set of guidelines that should be followed in these essential maintenance activities during the curfew period.
- Essential maintenance work will be assigned to you (Electrician / Plumber/ Home Appliance Equipment and AC Technicians) at the requests made to the hotlines of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) – 1987, Lanka Electricity Company (Pvt) Ltd (LECO) -1910, National Water Supply and Drainage Board– 1939 or the hotline of Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) -0764271030.
- The above institutions will always take steps to select the technician based on the nearest proximity to the premises of the respective electricity or water consumer.
- Once you have been given and communicated on the necessary maintenance as per the request, you can apply for the necessary curfew pass from the nearest police station.
- The telephone numbers of the nearest police station and the Officer In Charge (OIC) can be accessed at www.police.lk
- You must strictly comply with the terms of the curfew pass that you get and the relevant laws.
- You must adhere to the recommendations regarding COVID 19 issued by the Ministry of Health.
- You can charge a reasonable fee from the customer once the service is given. It is advised to agree upon a reasonable fee in advance.
- You must issue a receipt for the fee that you charged from the customer.
- The Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) maintains a database of relevant technicians and updates it to the relevant institutions and the public as needed.
- These terms may also be amended according to the requirement and you will be notified of such amendments. (Colombo/Apr18/2020)