Sri Lanka Coronavirus count climbs to 44 – Updated

ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has confirmed 15 more Coronavirus cases on Tuesday a taking the total along with a Chinese national up to 44, with the island due to bar arrivals from all countries from March 19.

The state information office said late Tuesday that 09 more patients had been confirmed.

Health Minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi said a soldier working with quarantined passengers had also become ill earlier in the day.

Director General of Health Services Anil Jasinghe said earlier in the day that six individuals had been confirmed.

“One of them was the wife of tour guide diagnosed a time ago.”

Another was a person who had toured Germany, one person was from UK, another person was from Kelaniya area, another was from Marawila and the last was a 25 year old young person from Qatar.

Sri Lanka is also turning the Welikanda hospital into a treatment centre for Coronavirus.

Sri Lanka is planning to close the airport for all incoming passengers from midnight March 18, while it will continue to operate for departures.

Sri Lanka is also planning to close gaming centres and nightclubs Jasinghe said.

There were 204 persons in hospital under observation as of Tuesday morning. Sri Lanka’s Army Chief Shavendra Silva said there 2,500 person in quarantine in 16 centres. (Colombo/Mar17/2020)

Advertisement

 

 

 

Latest Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *