Sri Lanka extends visas of tourists, foreigners till June 11 over Covid-19
ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has extended visas of all foreign tourists and resident foreigners until June 11, the island’s immigration office said as state agencies are set to begin partial operations from May 11 while red zones in the capital Colombo remains under partial curfew.
“Please be informed that, the validity period of all types of Visas had been extended for another period of 30 days with effect from 12th May 2020 to 11th June 2020,” the immigration office said in a public notice.
Sri Lanka is partially re-opening state offices from May 11, with only part of the workforce asked to come to office. Inbound travel remains closed except for specific rescue flights.
The immigration office asked tourists to make prior appointment before coming to renew visas.
About 11,000 foreign tourists are estimated to be in Sri Lanka, not counting guest workers, particularly in construction.
Persons who have overstayed visa will be able to get an extension by paying the applicable fee and no penalty.
Those seeking an extension were asked to make an appointment at the following link.
The office said applicants are asked to be present 15 minutes before the appointment as only a limited number will be given each day.
Anyone whose does not turn up within 10 minutes will not be allowed to enter the building and will have to get a fresh appointment.
An earlier statement said anyone leaving the country may pay the applicable fee at the airport immigration counter with no penalty.
For Visit Visas:
For Residence Visas:
The full statement is reproduced below
Extension of Visas for the Foreigners in Sri Lanka
This is further to the previous notice released by the Department of Immigration and Emigration on 24.04.2020 with regard to the extension of visas for the Foreigners residing in Sri Lanka.
Please be informed that, the validity period of all types of Visas had been extended for another period of 30 days with effect from 12th May 2020 to 11th June 2020.
Having considered the above, you are kindly requested to proceed as advised below.
1. All the applicants are hereby advise to pay the relevant visa fee and get the visa endorsed in the Passport by securing an appointment via the below mentioned link on or before 11th June 2020.
All the visas which expire between March 7th to June 11th 2020, will be exempted from charging overstay penalty.
2. Those who possess due Appointment Notice are only be permitted to enter the Department. Please be noted that a limited number of appointments will be given per day and the applicants shall be present at the Department 15 min prior to the allocated time.
If an applicant unable to present at the given time, the appointment become invalid after 10 min of grace period. In such circumstances, the applicants shall not be allowed to enter the Department premises and shall obtain a new appointment.
3. If you have any query in this regard, please contact our officials through following modes.
For Residence Visas:
Telephone: 0707101050 (Between 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. only)
4. Due to the unavoidable circumstances, if Government imposed curfew on the date which you have obtained the appointment, please do not visit the Department, instead please drop an email to the aforementioned email addresses attaching your “Appointment Notice”. You will be facilitated with a new appointment in due course.
5. Further, if you intend to leave the island during the aforementioned period; your journey will be also facilitated by paying the relevant visa fee at the Airport.
This notice is issued as per the instructions of the Controller General of Immigration and Emigration.