ECONOMYNEXT –The Sri Lanka Department of Meteorology has issued warnings of severe lightning for several districts in the country and requested residents to take adequate measures to minimise damage.
The Met Department said thundershowers accompanied by severe lightning are likely to occur in parts of the Eastern and Uva provinces and in the Mullaitivu and Vavuniya districts from 1pm pm onwards till 10pm on June 23.
“There may be temporary localised strong winds during thundershowers. The general public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimise damages caused by lightning activity,” the department said in a statement.
The Met Department also advised the public to:
- seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees
- avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms
- avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms
- avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc,
- beware of fallen trees and power lines
- for emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities (Colombo/ June 23/2020)