ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka has been placed on a Level 03 Covid-19 alert with cinemas, bars closed, supermarkets, retail, banks to operate at 25 percent capacity and hotels at 50 percent from May 01 as daily Covid-19 cases hit a new high of 1716 cases.
Weddings are banned until May 20 when the decision would be reviewed, Director General of Health Services Asela Gunewardene said.
On May 01, 1,699 domestic cases were confirmed up from 1,669 a day earlier. With foreign returnees the total went up to 1,662.
The President of the Public Health Inspectors Union Upul Rohana told reporters that PCR test results are delayed the data reflects the situation in the country about three days earlier.
Many villages in the country has been put under surgical lockdown.
Authorities are scrambling to expand hospital facilities. Sri Lanka provides institutional treatment for all positive patients which has helped contain the disease in earlier outbreaks.
Unlike the most successful countries such as Vietnam, Sri Lanka has no capacity for institutional quarantine.
Total under treatment on May 01 rose to 10,990 from 9,842 with 503 persons discharged.
The Alert 03 guidelines released by the President’s office are as follows:
Guidelines effective from May 1 to curb COVID
The National Operation Center for Prevention of Covid 19 Outbreak announces that the following regulations are effective from May 1, 2021 in line with the Alert Level 3 guidelines prescribed by the Director General of Health Services in order to control the Covid 19 outbreak.
01. Conferences / Seminars / Meetings / Brand Launches are banned until 21.05.2021. Thereafter a decision will be made upon reviewing the prevailing Covid situation.
02. Supermarkets, Shoppers Malls, Financial Institutions, Textile Shops and Retail Shops should be operated within 25% of the total customer capacity.
03. Events and Public gathering in closed and open spaces are not permitted.
04. People should not gather at religious places of worship
05. Cinema halls and theaters, children’s parks, swimming pools, pubs and bars, casinos and night clubs, betting centers and spa centers are closed.
06. The occupancy in Hotels, Rest Houses and Guest Houses should be 50% of the total capacity and should not function after 10.00 pm.
07. Carnivals, musical shows, beach parties / festivals are not allowed.
08. Open markets, fairs and bakeries should operate at 25% of the total customer capacity.
09. Courts – Up to 25% of the total capacity is open to the public.
10. Visiting prison inmates is not allowed.
11. Schools, Pre-schools, Universities and Institutes of higher learning, tuition classes will be closed until further notice. Online education can continue,
12. Weddings are not permitted from 04.05.2021 up to 20.05.2021. The decision will be reconsidered upon reviewing after the 20th of May.